Sunday, November 1, 2009

Life Simulator

I am taking a class this semester at IUSB called C335 - Computer Structures.  In the class we are learning about assembly language and taking an in-depth look at how the CPU and other pieces of hardware work.  Now before I took the class I was really looking forward to taking the class because I was really wanting to mess around with assemby.  Now we are using Linux assembly and it is interesting.  The class has an overarching project that we are supposed to be complete.  We are using Kephra robots to help us learn assembly.  To that end we have been writing a simulated CPU in assembly to use with the Kephra robot simulation software.  Writing a cpu as software sounds difficult but really it is pretty straight forward.  All you do is define some memory for the simulated registers, define some memory for simulated memory, and then define a reasonable set of instructions.  Defining the instructions is certainly the bulk of the work here but again much isn't really that difficult.  Given this you would think I would have no problem getting this assignment done.  Unfortuneatly this hasn't been the case.  I have had an almost incapacitating aversion to working on this for some reason.  I couldn't seem to get any resolve to sit down and work on it at all.  Finally I just sat down and did a reasonable draft of the code and I think it is good.  At least it assembles and loads without error.  And it even executes into a seg fault.  I suppose the seg fault is a problem but at least it didn't error before I could run it.

In other nontechnical details, my daughter's birthday is coming up in a couple of days.  I got her a Nintendo DSi with three games.  I think I might go back and get a fourth game but I haven't decided.  I think she will like it.  Her mom and I are split up again, not suprising really.  We haven't really been "together" for a long time.  Perhaps too much has happened for that to ever work out.  Honestly I am too busy and too broke to deal with having a relationship right now.  School needs to be my priority and then probably my health.  I really need to lose some weight.  I am getting to a size where I feel pretty uncomfortable and I think I need to make a change to get back on track.  I use my busy life as an excuse but that really is just an out.  I have no good reason to be this way.

Of course I have been playing DnD a lot lately.  I feel like sometimes our group is backwards.  I always thought as you grew up and matured there would be less drama.  Unfortuneatly I feel like there is only more.  Constantly I feel at odds with my friend Beau because his friend wants to play but can only play every three weeks.  I personally think we have too many people playing DnD as it is but I feel like I am obligated to allow more players.  The same thing with my friend Jarad's girlfriend.  It appears she is going to play as well but again we will have too many players.  The more people that we try to add to our group the harder it is to run and also keep things straight.  Meh I just paused and sent out an email stating I don't want any additional players.  Probably people will complain but I just don't want to deal with it.  Sometimes it pays to be able to be coldly removed.

Defineatly excited about next semester, I get to take two different Politcal Science classes.  One is on War, Terroism, and Reconcilliation and the other is on West European Countries.  I really enjoyed my Intro to Comparative Politics so I am looking forward to these classes.  It's getting late but now that I have my room to myself I think I will be posting more.  I guess I better link a couple people to here as well in case anybody wants to actually read this stuff.

~Syffin

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Matt. Thx for inviting me to your blog. You have done a great job so far. I enjoyed reading them. It helps me keep up on what is going on in your life. You mean the world to your dad and me. We don't get to see you as often because you have such a busy schedule, but we really enjoy the times we do get to see you.

    We enjoyed Halloween w/ you guys and we look forward to seeing you tonight!

    Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am home this a.m. trying to find a vet to spay a female cat we caught on Regina's farm last night..we think she is pregnant and Kyle, the male kitten you met this last weekend. If I can't get anybody to spay/neuter them today, I guess I'll head into work...

    It is rainy and ugly outside....cold...yuk!

    See ya later!

    ReplyDelete