Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Onus of Proof

It's March 1st (almost March 2nd) and in just another three days I will be 27. And on the cusp of turning 27 I think it is appropriate to look back and see how things have progressed in my life. What proof do I have that my life is moving in a direction that achieves the goals I have? Or better yet, what goals do I even have?

Determining goals is a risky business. You risk setting them too high and never achieving them. You risk setting them too low and never achieving something worthwhile. I probably have goals that seem silly or idealistic but I strive to achieve them never-the-less.

My first goal (and currently the one I am working the hardest on) is to be the kind of father that I see my Dad as. Is my Dad perfect? No, (sorry Dad!) but lets be realistic, nobody is. I can see places in the way that I was raised that I wish had turned out differently, but that is because I have the benefit of hindsight. I also am young and perhaps I am still acting like I know better than my parents, as many young people do. But I know that at my Dad's core are the values and ideals that I want to have. For example, I want to be there for my daughter in the way that he is always there for me. Even if I didn't take his advice when I was younger, I still remember all of it today. When I am faced with a tough decision I tend to ask myself, "What would your dad do?" For example, when Kelsey lost her job last year and I had the choice of taking out additional loans to help her get her car, I figured this is the type of thing my Dad would do and I did it because it was right to help her. My Dad helps even when people don't show appreciation. Also I believe that my Dad was basically the first person in my family to graduate college with a bachelor's degree. I plan to be the second, and the first with a master's and hopefully a doctorate. I will be done with my BS in May of next year. I really just want to live my life in a way that my daughter can be proud of and provide an example to her as I feel my Dad's life (both the good and the less good) has been an example for me. The constancy of my Dad's presence in my life was an anchor that kept me from drifting too far from my potential.

My second goal is that I want to help people. Currently my goal is to do this through teaching (at the community college level). I currently teach at a community college part time and I love it. I have never had a job that I was happy to go to. I feel blessed to have found something that I really enjoy. I also have found that I love comparative politics. Perhaps I can find some way to work politics into this goal as well.

My third goal is to lead a happy life. This seems kinda silly but I feel that so many people that don't seem to be enjoying life that I feel like they might be missing the point. If you are never happy what's the point of living? I have adopted a philosophy that I should always make time for something fun. Even if that just means sitting down and reading a few pages of a book, listening to some music, spending a night out with my friends, playing a game with my daughter, or keep abreast of political news. If you are enjoying your life, you make any room just a little brighter and a little more fun.

So in the end have I made much progress to any of these goals? I don't know, I feel firm in the knowledge that I am leading a life that I have chosen. What more can you really ask for? I am blessed to have a great family and great friends. My life is good and I am happy.

I don't have a lot more to say right now, but I hope to post again soon. I have read a number of additional books to add to my list. It's late so I think I will get off of here and head to sleep.

~Syffin

1 comment:

  1. I just want to take the time to thank you, I know I've said it before but I cannot thank you enough for being an awesome dad for Trinity and helping me out even when you didnt have to, I greatly appreciate you for the person you are and all the good youve done in my life and Trinitys life, I couldnt have chose a better father for Trinity.

    ReplyDelete